Sunday, April 17, 2011

April showers ...


I need to choose plumbing and trim for my bathroom. The first part's easy: I know I want shiny chrome. It's classic modern, it's surprisingly much cheaper than newer finishes like brushed nickel, and they all show water spots equally. 
Basically there are two configuration options: 
  1. I can have a thermostatic valve (controls hotness/coldness) all by its lonesome, and then separate volume controls for each waterspout (overhead shower, handshower, tub), or
  2. I can have one valve that does it all, with two concentric spinners (sort of like focus and aperature on a manual camera). One dial will set the temperature. The other dial will choose where the water comes from (tub only, overhead only, overhead + handshower, or handshower only), and sort-of control the volume (e.g. if you turn it only partway to the option, you get less water).  
(Quick vocabulary lesson: the valve is behind the wall, and looks like a utilitarian brass thing. The trim is the pretty lever and backing plate you actually see and touch. You choose a manufacturer and get their proprietary valve, and then you can choose from a wardrobe of trims for that valve.)

The plumbing store originally sold me on Option # 1 - lots of valves.  On the upside, you get  more control, I suppose (plus the possibility of locating the tub's volume control where it can easily be turned with one toe.) On the downside, the wallspace will be cluttered with bath hardware; it's not so big a tub, or a bathroom, to begin with. And more valves = gobs more money. The first two sets I priced (a Jaclo and a Hansgrohe) were astronomical. Then I found a few Kohler sets I loved for a reasonable price. 
This one's called "Stillness" -

And this one's called "Stance" -


And these two variations are "Purist" -

Either of these could be the tub faucet:



Then I read further on the internet, and discovered Option # 2 - the Hansgrohe "Thermobalance III" valve that does it all. 

I'm thinking either the "Metris" trim -
 
or the "Talis" style -
The tub faucet would be this one:
The Hansgrohe handshower (which I'd probably choose even if I otherwise went for Kohler, because it's nicer) will be mounted on a bar to keep the hose neater -



And for the overhead shower - with either system - I'm thinking of the well-reviewed, cool, and cheap American Standard (Hansgrohe has one just like it for 5x the price) -
American Standard 10" Modern Rain Showerhead
Opinions, anyone? I like the Hansgrohe concept, but I think I like the Kohler trims better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm moderating comments because I got a lot of spam recently. But don't let that deter you if you're a real person with something relevant to say!

About Me

I just bought my first home - an estate-sale 1BR prewar co-op on the UWS in Manhattan. It needs a new kitchen, a new bathroom, new windows, and the parquet floors restored. (Other than that, it's perfect!) This blog is for sharing my renovation ideas and adventures with friends, family, and fellow renovators.